Friday, February 18, 2011

Does IEC 61850 require special Ethernet Switches?

NO and Yes! It depends which services you are looking for. The communication profiles for client/server and GOOSE messaging are defined in IEC 61850-8-1.

The services and protocols for client/server communication are defined in the "TCP/IP T-Profile":


This table shows that the mandatory services and protocols are "standard" Ethernet ... you may purchase in a shop round the corner. There is no need for a special Switch etc.

In case you want to run GOOSE (or sampled values) messages, this requires IEEE 802.1Q (VLAN and Priority Tagging):

DataLink: Priority Tagging/ VLAN IEEE 802.1Q  (mandatory)

Ethernet Switches for rugged applications in substations have also to conform to IEC 61850-3 (EMC, EMI, Temp range, ...).

For applications outside substations you may use "standard" Ethernet switches.

No comments: